Ever since the Prairie Fairy Queen created the Hoisting Sails and Harbor Gulls images I have wanted to create this card. Today's tutorial will show you how to mask a digi and using paper tole techniques how to give your images depth.
Print out the image you plan to use on cardstock as well as computer paper. Cut out the computer paper pieces you want to mask.
Using dotto adhesive place this adhesive onto the backs of the computer paper boats and line up on your cardstock with the same image.
Here's a pic of the cardstock with the masks in place.
I then used a large post it note to define my horizon.
Flip the post it note on the horizon line to now cover the sky. This allows you to sponge the water I used Marina Mist in the center and Night of Navy Stampin Up ink to sponge the water. I also sponged a little bit of Pink Pirouette down on the sides of the image to soften the break line.
I printed out 5 images of Harbor Gulls all the same size. I numbered the right top corner so you would understand the layering effect better. Color your images. You will see that I colored less of the image when it became more of the foreground. I also placed red X's where I planned on cutting out that part of the image to show depth. To decide how to do this look at your image and start by removing the object that is farthest back.
In image 2 I will be removing the back wing of the sea gull in the background so I Xed it out and didn't bother to color it.
Image 3 I cut out the back wing and the body of the background seagull.
In image 4 I removed the entire background seagull and the pillar upon which it was perched.
In image 5 I removed the back wing on the foreground sea gull, I could have removed the tail feathers but didn't think of it. Also even though I colored both legs and the top of the pillar I decided later that they would be better removed.
Now I am giving you the view of image 1 and 2 side by side to see that the back wing is removed from the image when cut.
Image 2 and 3 show the difference by removing the background birds back wing and body cut out.
Images 3 and 4 show the difference of the next removal.
I pointed out the parts I removed with pink arrows on images 4 and 5.
Whenever I do paper tole I like to add real elements to the images for more depths. I added hemp for the ropes on images 3 and 5. To add it to image 3, I had to cut a slot on the side of the front pillar to slide the hemp through. I did three different pieces of hemp, I didn't wrap it around so it wouldn't distort my image by having it too taught. I adhered the hemp using glue dots.
Use a round tool, either the edge of a marker, an embosser, or something similar to give the images curvature. This keeps it from looking flat and adds dimension. Do this on everyone of the 5 gull images.
To adhere the gulls to each other I didn't want to use pop dots they make the spacing too much. In paper tole you use a silicone adhesive, as I live in the sticks, I went to the local hardware store and asked them what they had that would work. It turns out that the window caulking is a clear silicone adhesive and much cheaper than at a craft store. It comes with a nozzle tip so much easier for fine detailed work. Squeeze out a dollop of adhesive several places on the furthest back image making sure not to put adhesive on the area removed of the next layer. The depth you want is dependent on how much adhesive you add, you can always squish it down, just be careful not to put your adhesive near the edge or it will squish out.
Close up shot for you to see adhesive added to image. Let dry for a minute or two between layers so that your image doesn't slide around. It doesn't take long for the adhesive to set. Continue to do this on each layer.
Side view of two images joined.
Side view of all 5 images joined, you can now see how much difference it would have made if I used pop dots on each layer.
Front view of all 5 layers adhered together.
I attached my image to my card and then added my gulls with more silicone adhesive. I had a little excess of my gulls hanging off the bottom of my card. I just trimmed it level.